Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Motor Broke?

So the other day, the absolute worst thing that can happen to me, happened. A nightmare for any electric skateboard owner. And yes, I’m exaggerating a great deal here.
I was skating home from work. My complex has many speed bumps that you really can’t skate around. After living here for a few months, I’ve really refined my technique for clearing those speed bumps. Although my Boosted Board can simply roll right over them, I don’t like the way it *feels* to do that. Instead, I prefer to step off the board just before it hits the bump, and then hop back on.
So I was going up a hill, doing just that. When I hopped back on the board and gave it some throttle, something didn’t feel right. The board was accelerating a bit slower than I had expected it to. What was that all about?
When I began to hit the brake to walk the board over the next speed bump, I heard a sound that absolutely *terrified* me. It was a clicking sound. Which always reminds me of the dreaded ‘click of death’ that computers will suffer from time to time.
I looked at the bottom of the board, to see if maybe I had got a small stick, or some debris in any of the mechanics. But at a cursory glance, everything looked fine. Luckily, I was already at the top of the hill, and my house was on the bottom of the other side of the hill. So I was able to roll back home without much difficult. But I do rely on the brakes to slow me for the speed bump at the bottom of the hill. With this new clicking shit going on, I wasn’t going slow enough to walk the board over the bump. Instead I rolled over it, a little faster than I would have wanted to. But it was no biggie.
When I got inside my home, I stood my board up by the chargers and gave the motor some juice. What I saw shocked me. Only *one* of the two motors was spinning. Holy shit. My Boosted Board was broken. I was crushed.
I mean, on the one hand, I have a bicycle, and my Evolve Boards, so it’s not like it’s the end of the world. But I really love my Boosted Board, and it is definitely the best and safest of all the boards I own. So yeah, I was sad.
Not knowing what else to do, I plugged the board in for a charge, and figured I’d let time take a crack at the problem.
The next day looked kinda wet, and I decided it would be a fine day to bike to work. I’d just got my bike back in working order – precisely because we’ve been having so much rain lately. But before I rode out on the bike, I turned on the Boosted Board and gave it some motor.
Lo and behold, *both* of the wheels started spinning. I was so happy to see that whatever problem had plagued me the previous day, had disappeared just as quickly as it had come. But I still didn’t want to ride the Boosted to work. What if the problem returned? I certainly didn’t want to be halfway to work, just to find that the board really was broken.
So I biked to work. Which really turned out to be a good experience. For the first time, I got an appreciation of the various grades of hills that the sidewalks I use have. On an electric board, it can be very tough to feel if you’re going slightly uphill or not.
But when I got back home yesterday, I knew I’d have to take the Boosted out for a test run. Just to make sure that she really was back to working order. I took her up a hill. Then back down again. I skated to the nearby complex, going around and around a place that is filled mostly with college students.
It was actually one of the best joy rides I’ve had in a really long time. But the best part of all was that, as far as I could tell, the Boosted Board works.
The major difference now, is that I’ve really changed how I walk my board over those nasty speed bumps. Before, I would almost race. As if the goal were to see how quickly I could get the board over the bump, and then jump back on it again.
In doing so, I definitely felt something that the board didn’t like. Something about going from braking to neutral to accelerate in the space of a second or two. During that test run, and probably from here on out, I’ve been taking things a lot slower.
No more of this quick direction change on the motors. Now I ease up to the speed bumps. I make sure that the board doesn’t get any bumps that are *too* big when trying to go over. I jump onto the board with a bit more finesse, and even give it an extra little kick start to help the motors along.

But I am happy to say that I rode my Boosted to work today, and I can’t wait for the ride home.  

6 comments:

  1. Very nice to read about your experience about Electric skateboard.Thanks for this sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting and informative blog and about the electric longboard and I must appreciate your work well done keep it up.
    electric longboard

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog is very helpful and interesting about the white board and many other well done.
    cork notice board

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have raised an important issue..Thanks for sharing..I would like to read more current affairs from this blog..keep posting..
    electric skateboard remote app

    ReplyDelete
  6. Read reviews from satisfied customers to gain insights into the performance and reliability of electric skateboards. electric skateboard review

    ReplyDelete